There’s not a dull day on social media, that’s for sure. For marketers, that means there is always something new on social media platforms. Whether it be a pop culture topic, a viral video trend, a change in audience behavior, or more, all of these can be used by marketers and brands to stay relevant. And with 2024 coming soon, businesses must get familiar with the new social media trends.
What social media trends should you focus on in 2024?
2024 brings some significant changes to the world of social media. If you have a social media presence or a social media strategy for your digital marketing efforts, it’s best to be prepared. Here are some of the social media trends that deserve your attention:
#1 The continuous rise of artificial intelligence
AI, or artificial intelligence, will only continue to rise in 2024. It might even become bigger. With the way generative AI has found its way into business tasks and the way digital marketers are choosing to invest in AI, this will not be going away anytime soon.
There’s a 318% increase in the number of organizations planning to use AI in customer support activities in 2024. There’s also a 260% increase in the number of organizations planning to use AI in image editing next year. These are according to the Hootsuite Social Trends 2024 Survey. This shows serious and significant ventures into the world of AI from businesses and organizations.
Still, brands need to be careful. Using artificial intelligence comes with its own risks and challenges, and brands should always weigh the pros and cons of using AI in digital marketing. Some of the audiences also still have some sort of distrust in AI. Brands need to carefully assess where and when they can use AI. They also need to make sure that it’s making a difference in their operational efficiency without sacrificing quality, ethics, or more.
#2 Social media as the new search engines
Social media platforms are also poised to become a notable alternative to search engines. Gone are the days when people would simply use Google for any inquiry they had. Now, they’re turning to social media platforms for a more visual and engaging search experience.
This can especially be expected when consumers are looking for specific things on the internet. This includes new foods to try, new recipes, new locations or destinations to go to, new products and how to use them, and a lot more. These social media platforms are giving consumers videos and photos that are easy to consume and understand. This also means that consumers are getting recommendations in the palm of their hands, and they can easily share them with whoever they want.
According to Statista, social media, including Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok, is the second-leading source where Gen Z does their research for their shopping decisions. This is now one of the known Gen Z consumer habits—to get to know more about the products they want to buy, look for other people who have tried them, look for instructions, and more. Brands are going to need to step up. They need to make sure that they are producing good social media content or are partnering with the right influencers.
#3 AR in e-commerce and social media
Much like AI, AR, or augmented reality, will find its way into businesses. As one of the social media trends in 2024, AR integrations can be expected in the consumer and shopping industries, primarily in e-commerce or social commerce.
Augmented reality allows users to combine computer-generated content and their view of the real world. With this kind of technology, consumers will be able to see what a specific product looks like on their bodies, at their homes, and more. This boosts customer experiences, brand awareness, and the chances of conversion for businesses if they can utilize it effectively.
Snapchat had a lot of potential with its ARES (Augmented Reality Services for Business) platform, (but was only forced to shut down due to the cost). Meanwhile, Meta is already developing AR and 3D display tools, possibly filling in the gap and broadening AR integrations in social media and commerce.
#4 More video trends
With TikTok still at the forefront of short-form video platforms, video trends will continue to rise here in 2024. Brands will need to take the time to see what short-form video trends are new, what challenges are popular, and how they can join the conversations. Short-form video content can be a gateway to more exposure, new audiences, and trust for brands.
It’s also interesting to note that while most video trends start on TikTok, Instagram Reels are not far behind. The trends that start on TikTok end up on Instagram after some time as well. What this means for brands is that they need to be in tune with the latest trends, so they can use them to their advantage and surpass their competitors.
#5 More demand for authenticity
There is a need to refocus on authenticity on social media, especially on TikTok. This is mostly due to the launch of TikTok Shop in the United States in September 2023, but was met with reports of scams, complaints about knockoffs, and insincerity from creators. “Deinfluencing” content has also added fuel to the fire as these videos aim to help avoid overspending, hoarding, impulse buying, and materialism in general.
Like it or not, authenticity is one of Gen Z and millennials’ priorities when it comes to brand support, so expect more demand in 2024. Brands that will foray into TikTok Shop to sell their goods need to engage with the audience in an authentic, sincere, and human manner. Too much self-promotion might just turn off the audience.
#6 ROI on platforms
Last but not least, brands re-evaluating their social media platforms based on their ROI (return on investment) will also be one of the social media trends in 2024. According to Hootsuite, 52% of organizations think that the time and budget necessary to maintain several social media platforms impact their ROI. Going forward, this means brands are more likely to factor in positive ROI to figure out which platforms and strategies they should prioritize.
Why is it important to stay updated with current social media marketing trends?
Not keeping up with social media trends will only be a big mistake. If your business has a big presence on social media, it’s all the more reason for you to keep up with all things new.
- Changing consumer behavior: Consumer behavior on social media is constantly evolving. This helps you understand your target audience and allows you to tailor your social media strategies to align with current preferences.
- Platform algorithm changes: Social media platforms frequently update their algorithms to improve user experience and content relevance. Being aware of these changes is essential for maintaining visibility and engagement. Understanding how algorithms work helps you optimize your content to appear in users’ feeds and reach a wider audience.
- Competitive advantage: Social media is a highly competitive space, and staying updated with trends allows you to stay ahead of competitors. If you’re among the first to adopt a new trend or platform feature, you can leverage it to differentiate your brand and capture the attention of your audience.
- Effective content creation: Knowing what types of content perform well on social media helps in creating more effective and engaging content. Trends can indicate the popularity of certain formats, such as videos, live streams, or interactive content. Aligning your content strategy with these trends can enhance the effectiveness of your campaigns.
- Adapting to platform changes: Social media platforms introduce new features and functionalities on a regular basis. Staying updated ensures that you can adapt your strategies to take advantage of these changes.
- Data-driven decision-making: Trends are often backed by data and insights into user behavior. By staying informed, you can make data-driven decisions and optimize your social media marketing strategies based on what works and what doesn’t.
Keep these social media trends in mind and get ready to tackle your strategy for next year. If you need more help with your social media, feel free to contact Twin Rams Media experts today.